Road trips, train rides, trips across the ocean. These are adventures that many of us crave during the warmest months of the year. If there is a trip in your future, the change of pace may be just what you need to reset your mind and body. The change of pace can also wreak havoc on your skin if you’re not prepared with the right tools. Here, we want to discuss what can get you through whatever travels lie ahead. And, guess what! It’s easy!
When you’re sitting at your desk several hours a day, you may remember the value of sipping water now and then (every few minutes, really). Hydration can go out the window when you’re traveling down a long, lonesome highway. It may be that you don’t want to tempt fate or your bladder. It may be that your mind is simply elsewhere; on the road, on your family. The thing is, travelers often report a marked increase in the dryness of their skin. Conditions such as eczema and psoriasis are also more likely to flare up when traveling. Hydrating the cells of the body from the inside out can curb all of this.
Bring It With You
At home, your skin receives routine care with the same products, day after day. As such, it needs the same type of care when you are away from home. Those bars of soap and bottles of lotion at the hotel? They are hardly sufficient for maintaining adequate moisture, in particular. When preparing for any trip away from home, it helps to pack a personal care kit that includes:
- Several small tubes of lotion or cream that you can use in the car, on the plane, or even on a hike.
- Sunscreen isn’t something you want to skip. If you need to pack light, consider a tinted moisturizer with broad-spectrum sunscreen, SPF 30.
- Cleansing towelettes let you feel clean and fresh even when you’re on the go.
- Lip balm with SPF moistens and protects at the same time.
- Facial spritz can wake you up and freshen you up while helping you maintain moisture.
- Antiperspirant or deodorant might just be your best friend on a long journey.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste doesn’t help your skin, but it can help your mood!
Finally, the end of summer is a great time to schedule a skin cancer screening. Call our Fresno office at (559) 435-SKIN (7546).