What Are Retinoids?
- Posted on: Feb 28 2016
If you’ve seen advertisements for skin care products, you’ve probably noticed that may of them say they contain retinoids or retinol. What are retinoids and what can they do for your skin? Keep reading to find out.
Where do retinoids come from?
Retinoids are medicines that are derived from Vitamin A, which plays an important role throughout the body.
What skin care products contain retinoids?
There are many types of skin care products that contain retinoids. In most cases they are topical creams that are applied to the skin. Sometimes these products can be purchased at supermarkets, while others require a prescription from a doctor.
Usually topical retioids that contain isotretinoin or tetinoin need to be prescribed by a doctor, but there are many face creams that contain retinol or retinaldehyde that can be purchased at the drugstore without a prescription.
What can these products do for your skin?
Some retinoid topical creams work by promoting cell turnover and preventing the breakdown of collagen. The benefits of using retinoids vary depending on the product you’re using. Some can help to treat acne, others can even skin tone, and some can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Tips for using retinol skin care products safely
Skin care products with retinoids can improve your appearance and your confidence when used correctly, but if used incorrectly, you may accidentally damage your skin. The following tips can help you get the most out of these skin care products:
• Ask your dermatologist for a recommendation, even if you don’t need a prescription.
• Always follow the directions given by your dermatologist, pharmacist, and the product label.
• Introduce new skin care products gradually so your skin has time to adjust. Start by using them a few times a week and then gradually work up to using them most days.
• Use retinoid creams at night when they’ll be most effective.
• Retinoids can leave your skin temporarily more vulnerable to sun damage, so it is important to take extra precautions in the sun. Always wear sunscreen, shade your face with a hat, and minimize your time outdoors if you’ve recently started using something with retinol.
To learn more about retinoids and other skin care products, schedule a consultation with Dr. Behr.
Posted in: Skin Care