Are Nasolabial Folds a Problem for You? We Can Help!
- Posted on: Apr 15 2021
Sometimes it seems like frown lines or forehead lines get all the attention. With the prominence of the eye area, we can understand why people worry about the onset or worsening of all age-related changes in this area. However, the aging process is not particular. It will at some point touch every part of the face. Here, we discuss why we get lines around the nose and mouth that are known as nasolabial folds. We will also discuss steps that may slow their onset and treatments that can correct this frustrating .
What Causes Nasolabial Folds?
We know that we get lines and wrinkles because we are aging and, as we age, the skin doesn’t have as much collagen and elastin as it needs to stay smooth and tight. That’s the general idea. However, some factors can accelerate the change in the skin. These include:
- Genetic makeup and general health. These can influence how quickly the skin ages and in what ways the face may change as we get older.
- Sun exposure. Some amount of sunlight is good for the body. However, it’s pretty easy to overdo it. Sunshine is made of ultraviolet light. These strong rays don’t just cause sunburns, they also cause collagen to degrade.
- The chemicals in cigarettes are bad news for every part of the body, including the skin. Here, chemicals pollute the air directly in contact with facial skin, causing premature aging.
Are Nasolabial Folds Preventable?
Facial aging happens to everyone. We cannot prevent it. However, we can manage how our skin ages. Quite well, in fact. One of the biggest ways we can work to slow the onset and progression of nasolabial folds is to take excellent care of the skin. This looks like:
- Applying SPF 30, broad-spectrum sunscreen every day.
- Avoiding too much sun exposure.
- Avoiding “sunless tanning.” Tanning lamps are just as dangerous, if not more so, than tanning in the sunlight.
- Using high-quality skincare made with retinoids, antioxidants, and other nourishing ingredients.
Treating Nasolabial Folds
It is helpful to keep in mind that you can treat nasolabial folds even before they appear. You can also address this problem using various methods. Examples include:
- Microdermabrasion, a professional treatment that gently helps hasten cellular turnover. Treatment is comfortable and requires no downtime.
- Hydrafacial treatment, which sloughs off damaged skin cells and infuses the upper layers of the skin with nutrients.
- Dermal fillers. A quick and effective treatment, dermal fillers plump the skin beneath nasolabial folds for immediate improvement.