Monday, April 15th, 2013
Nothing is better than a California summer. But as you swim, surf, and sunbathe your way through the summer, your skin is getting a beating from the sun. In fact, all that sun exposure takes a toll and results in sun damage and even premature wrinkles. If you leave your skin unprotected it is vulnerable to the effects of harmful ultraviolet rays.
Keep your skin safe, and your summer worry-free, by following some of these easy skincare tips that you can do on the go.
- Keep your skin hydrated during the summer. You can do this by adding various techniques and working them into your current skincare regimen. Hydrating facial masks at least twice a week, using a toner to boost your moisturizer, or even spritzing on a hydrating mist can do wonders for your skin during the summer months.
- Remember, water is your best friend. Along with the rise in temperature comes a higher risk for dehydration. Making sure that you are drinking plenty of water is critical in maintaining your skin and body’s moisture to help eliminate toxins and keep your skin clear.
- Apply sunscreen. Reapply sunscreen. Honestly, it’s not about how high the SPF can go, but how often you put the protection back on. Dermatologists recommend reapplying sunscreen every two hours, at the very least, to maintain the sun protection. Also, don’t be shy to slather on as much as you can. If sun protection is your main concern, a little dab of lotion just won’t do.
- Exfoliation is key. Removing dead skin cells prevents pore congestion and improves the skin’s response to hydration.
- The relentless summer heat can leave your skin looking dry, red, and irritated. For instant soothing relief, keep your skin products inside the refrigerator. Not only will they feel heavenly when you apply them, the coldness of the product will act like a vasoconstrictor to reduce redness and swelling.
For more useful skincare tips, or to schedule a personal appointment with Dr. Kathleen Behr call us at 559-435-SKIN (7546), or visit our clinic at 1125 E. Spruce Ave. Suite 207 Fresno, CA 93720.